Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Shalom #45

This was such a wonderful post from Kristy that I wanted to share it with you......







FEB 12, 2009

Special Special DAY

(This is for my kids)

Today is the 9th anniversary of an event that completely changed our little family. I want my kids to know my side of the story (Billy's and mine differ a little). After I graduated from high school I went to Rick's college. It was a good thing for me to get away and find out who I was and how I wanted to live my life, to not always rely on my parents and what they said, but to decide for myself. I went home for Christmas and got a very unexpected called from Billy (we had said our goodbyes graduation night and I really never expected to hear from him again.) He had asked if I wanted to go see the temple lights. I thought it was really crazy he wanted to go but didn't want to pass up this opportunity so I decided to go.The temple lights were beautiful and it was fun to see each other and catch up. As we walked around he started asking questions about what we believed as Mormons and said he wanted to learn more about our church. Honestly (and I know this is really bad) I didn't believe him and thought it was all just a joke. He is the biggest jokester so even now it is hard to know when he is really serious. He even said a few other things like we should just go get married so I really did not know what to think. We had a really fun night. The break went by so quickly that we really didn't talk much after that night. Right as I was leaving to go to the airport to go back to Ricks I got a call from Billy and again he had asked to hear more about our church. My dad happened to be right by me and at the time he was the stake mission leader so I told my dad that Billy wanted to learn more but was still very skeptical . I was on my way out so I immediately went to the airport and went back to Ricks.
(So this is what my dad and Billy say happened after)

My dad calls Billy a few minutes later and asked when he was free to learn more- Billy says whenever, not really thinking anything about the discussions and that my dad was the mission leader, and they ended up having the first discussion about a half hour later. It was about a month later that Billy got baptized. So 9 years ago today Billy was baptized a member of the LDSChurch. Of course it was life changing for Billy and I can't even begin to say how proud I am of him and how amazing I think he is. He is not who he was 10 years ago and so much more than I ever thought he could be.
For me though, it was also life changing. I remember thinking at times if living the gospel was really that important and did I really want to do it, but when Billy was baptized it helped me more than anything. Even to this day if I ever question things all I have to do is remember Billy and his story. If the gospel could change someones life so drastically then I want to be apart of it. If someone would have said 10 years ago that Billy and I would be married and have two little kids and be as happy as we are (don't get me wrong we fight and have our hard times but we get through them and I love him even more) I would have laughed and said it never ever could happen. But I am so happy that it has happened. I love Billy and he helps me to be better in so many ways. He is so giving and does so many things without even thinking. He is so forgiving and kind and loving to me and my babies. I know God's hand was in it and I am so glad my dad had more faith then I did to not doubt but to just proceed. Thanks dad, that call changed so many lives. Billy, I can't wait to see what the next 9 and many many more years have to bring!!!